Here is a representative sample of writing by Robert Nagle (both professional and personal).
Hardware & Software Manuals
- Community-based documentation: In 2008 I wrote 2 lengthy tutorials for the Plone open-source community. Its purpose was to talk about how my company’s software could be used when deploying open source software.
- Best of Show: (These were help topics I wrote about extremely technical and complex subjects).
- Troubleshooting Checklist . This exhaustive document helped customers to diagnose problems. The support staff uses it to solve customer tickets.
- User and Server Security. This reference guide helped customers with user security and installation problems.
- Caching Concepts & Strategies: General introduction to how caching with the company’s product improves Plone performance. With diagrams.
- Online Help: HW-SW Connectivity, Adaptive Help Window, Adaptive Help Window (integrated view), Quick Start Installation Instructions, Application Server Troubleshooting, New Software Features, Document Table of Contents . (For more, see the 3 examples of Table of Contents which link to live documentation).
- Table of Contents: Example 1, Example 2, Example 3. These links not only demonstrate how I organize information, they also link to about 100+ additional help topics (all created by me).
- Process Flow Diagrams. 1 page diagrams which illustrate the overall life cycle of cases in a judicial management system for the city. Sample 1, Sample 2, Sample 3.
- Diagrams: 2 Diagrams about Trusted Proxies, Online Manufacturing Tutorial(multipage web tutorial for SW and Manufacturing Engineers), Manufacturing Processes (produced for a training class), Diagnostic Procedures (Use Cases gathered for a new SW tool)
- Technical Overviews. 5 page technical/conceptual overview about a tricky component for a judicial management software. (View PDF)
- Software Screencasts/ Web Demos. These were produced using Adobe Captivate.
- Setting up Virtual Hosts for Apache on MS Vista. I posted this little tutorial on an online forum. Truthfully, I just wrote this for fun after realizing it was documented nowhere else.
Marketing/Promotional Technical Documents
- What’s New (PDF)(2006) and an older version of the same document with my byline(PDF)(2005). This was for a software release by Texas Instruments written for the marketing department.
Book Production and Design
- I wrote, produced and published User’s Guide to Plone 4 for Enfold Systems. View Book sample 1 and Book Sample 2 (both are screenshots from actual pages). Here are two sample chapters: Introduction(PDF) and Chapter 4 (PDF) .Note: for various reasons, the layout for the sample chapters are substantially different from the actual book. The screenshots are more accurate. (Read more about this work experience).
- Plone Book . I had to polish the English translation of an earlier version of the same book and do a technical review. Download it here.
- Ebook Ecommerce Page for an author. I run an ebook publishing company as a side business and set up a shopping cart application on the author’s site.
- I have produced 5 ebooks by a well-known author for publication. I did all the formatting, editing and promotions. You can preview them on the Amazon.com website here and here.
- Online annotated bibliography for Civil War fiction. I repurposed existing Docbook XML book content into a static HTML file and applied a responsive web design template so that the content worked well on different devices and screen resolutions. This 7500 word reference document contained so much information that it needed to be organized clearly, have a built in navigation method and also serve a marketing purpose without beating people on the head with it.
Renewable Energy/Investigative Reporting
In September 2011 I wrote a long blog post called How to Choose a Texas Energy Provider the wrong way. It offers recommendations and advice to consumers for choosing a power provider. It also describes the renewable portfolio standard (RPS) and renewable energy credits (REC).
In November 2009 I published two investigative pieces titled, “Is your website green?” about data centers for the Houston Chronicle technology blog.
- Part 1 covers how to estimate the carbon impact of a website or data center.
- Part 2 examines how to estimate energy efficiency of data centers and whether the new federal Energy Star rating system will bring improvements in the IT sector.
- Posters for 2007 National Institute of Justice Conference. These posts showcased law enforcement technology. Screenshot and another screenshot
Reporting on Legal Topics
Feature Stories and Interviews
- Technology Conference Reporting (2004) (10 stories on Houston Chronicle’s technology blog about South by Southwest Interactive)
- 11 Incredible Music Albums you can download for free (2009). Long feature story about free music, plus several related interviews.
- Interview with Jack Matthews (Ohio Author). I am writing a collection of essays about this author and plan to publish one of his nonfiction works as an ebook.
- Interview with Michael Barrett (Movie Critic). March, 2012.
- Interview with Musicians. For my 2009 11 Incredible Music Albums you can download for free article, I interviewed 9 talented musicians from around the world: Interview with Monk Turner (very long). Interview with Jose Cruz (JCRZ); Interview with Thomas Eccard (2 Inventions); Interview with Vavrek & John Holowach (Tryad); Interview with Adam Szabo (Ant on Wax); Interview with Hannah Sheehan (No Really); Interview with Lonah; Interview with Vae (Intergalactic Tourist); Interview with Serge Robinson (Improvisational Pianist).
- Interview with a Marketing Analyst about the future of ebook publishing (2007). This essay was cited widely on technology blogs in 2007.
Analysis & Commentary
- Book Reviews on Slashdot.org (2002-2005: Art of Unix Programming, Two Books on Plone, Managing RAID on Linux, Professional Apache 2.0. Also Digital Video Hacks (published on dvinfo.net)
- Straight talk about graduate school (2004)
- Digital Game-Based Learning(2001) (commentary and book review published on slashdot.org)
- 4/2007 UH Presentation on Ebooks (PDF)
- Enrichment Games and Instructional Design. Paper I wrote for an Instructional System Design graduate class at UT Austin in 2001.
- Sample Foreign Language Lesson Plan (PDF, 1998). Published in a newsletter for English language teachers.
- How to Improve Your English Vocabulary. 2007. Instructional Essay I wrote which relied on research I did while working for an educational foundation.
- Literature class study & discussion guide for students. I wrote this guide for teachers who would be teaching a certain novel.
Technical Writing Topics
- Why readers don’t read documentation: technical writing secrets (2007)
- Job Interview Test (2009). Insights about technical writing gained from a job interview.