Tools Used: WordPress, Apache, mysql, ssh, Filezilla
Because of my background in literature and publishing, I’ve had a special interest in ebooks (books in digital form). Between 2006-8 I handled the system administration of a news blog about the publishing industry called TeleRead. The site used WordPress CMS software, and I handled most of its technical matters. That included:
- Software updates and security patches
- Troubleshooting connection problems and filing trouble tickets with the hosting service
- Handling user management issues and comment moderation
- Handling change management for plugins
- Handling simple problems with CSS and themes layout
- Performance tuning
- Editorial Brainstorming: new topics, monetizing, improving the user experience, future directions
- Handling the migration to 2 new hosting services
This work was done on a volunteer unpaid basis under the supervision of David Rothman (TeleRead founder).
In addition I’ve contributed articles on various topics related to ebook publishing. Topics include copyright, ebook conversion software, conference reports, reading culture and emerging business models.