Technologies Used: XML Oxygen Author, Docbook 5, MS Office, Docbook XSLT stylesheets, Gimp, Audacity, Sony Vegas Pro 12
Samples: Author Website
Dates: 8/2010 to present
Since 2010 I have run a small ebook publishing company called Personville Press. So far, I have published 7 ebooks already, with current agreements to publish 4 more. I do this during my breaks between jobs and contracts, but I also work on these projects to a lesser degree when I am working full time. This is a “fledgling business” which I expect to grow over time.
On the business side, I:
- Negotiated publishing terms with the author and wrote everything up in a legally enforceable contract.
- Set up a (rudimentary) accounting system for tracking royalties and transferring payments to the author.
- Created marketing strategy and identified potential audience for the product.
- Wrote press releases, product descriptions and announcements for online stores, blogs and social media.
- Hired talent as needed for illustrations, actors, studio engineers.
- Evaluated ebook distribution channels for reach and revenue potential.
- Set up a customer relationship management system using market data I have personally collected. (In progress)
On the technical side, I:
- Created a Docbook XML-based toolchain for producing ebooks.
- Researched ebook standards and implementations from the different devices and distribution channels.
- Wrote simple XSLT customizations to optimize the ebook file and a CSS template appropriate for the ebook and device.
- Tested ebook templates for the major devices and ebook platforms.
- Ran a promotional website for the author.
- Set up a turnkey shopping cart solution for customers to buy digital files directly.
On the editorial side, I:
- Selected and proposed material for the ebook.
- Wrote prefaces and relevant supporting material.
- Queried author for clarifications and offering editorial suggestions when appropriate.
- Set up a workflow for editing and producing an ebook (Basically, MS Word –> Filtered HTML –> Docbook XML –> Epub files).
- Proofed text thoroughly and submitted files and metadata to distribution channels.
On the multimedia side, I:
- produced an audio play by an author and did light editing
- recorded audio and video of author for use in promoting the book.
- designed simple “skyscraper” ads for ebooks.